2/23/2016

Tamales

Unlike tacos, are either great, or pretty terrible (IMO). I have yet to meet a taco that is anything less than good. Good to great to exceptional to Oh my god. Tamales, on the other hand, are often bland and forgettable, and if you are eating street food in Mexico, why bother?

That said, last night I thought I was going to have some mediocre tamales for dinner. Not that I know them to be medicore, just that I didn't, for some reason, expect them to be great. And so, because I am always hoping for better, I decided to roam the streets, keeping these possibly medicore (though of course possibly great) tamales in my back pocket (so to speak).

I happened across taco stands, and hamburger stands, and various places, and then I happened across a couple selling tamales on the corner. For some reason, I felt very good about these tamales. They both told me their favourite was salsa verde, so salsa verde I got. And after being pitiful and telling them that I had no home, and therefore no fork, they stuck a plastic fork and napkin in the bag for me.

Now, I can't with utter certainty discount the fact that eating said tamale on the roof with a full moon above and a lit cathedral to the south, and being pleased with myself for finding these secret tamales, may have affected my judgment, but damn.

Damn.

Damn those were some tamales.

And as always, I don't like me no pretty food.

(Calle 40 and, I think, Calld 27. They are there Monday to Friday, evenings.)

No comments: