2/05/2016

Still on the corners

El Chombo (I think this means the grackle, but I have also found that it refers to various groups of African descent in Latin America as well as either a type of habanero or a type of habanero salsa. I'm going with the grackle.) 63/52
El Arco del Puente (the bridge arch - there are three arches left in Merida, I'll show you later) 63/50
El Arco de Dragones (the dragon arch) 61/50
El Curartel (the barracks) 59/50
Los Federales (the feds) 59/40
La Gaviota (the seagull) 57/44
La Libertad (freedom) 57/48
La vuelta del negro (not sure how comfortable I am posting this one, but as this is a record of what the corners actually display, this one displays the gyrations of the black man) 55/48*

*Race in Mexico is strange and different and not something I will wade into in any depth, except to mention that the bar near my house that I am not enamoured of is called La Negrita. This also came up in class (before I dropped it), with my teacher explaining that because she is dark skinned, she is called negrita as a term of affection, and that any noun you add a diminutive to is automatically ok (see: gordita). Not sure I buy it, but that's the story as it's been given to me.

No comments: